In the Bathroom
- Turn off the tap while shaving or brushing teeth.
- Small household leaks can add up to gallons of water lost every day.
- Showers use less water than baths, as long as you keep an eye on how long you’ve been lathering up.
In the Kitchen
- Plug up the sink or use a wash basin if washing dishes by hand.
- Use a dishwasher – and when you do, make sure it’s fully loaded!
- Scrape your plate instead of rinsing it before loading it into the dishwasher.
- Keep a pitcher of drinking water in the refrigerator instead of letting the faucet run until the water is cool.
- Thaw in the refrigerator overnight rather than using a running tap of hot water.
- Add food wastes to your compost pile instead of using the garbage disposal.
In the Laundry Room
- Wash only full loads of laundry or use the appropriate water level or load size selection on the washing machine.
- To save money on your energy bills, set your washing machine to use cold water rather than hot or warm water.